This tutorial is useful if you are a computer technician (like me) and have to constantly be reinstalling Windows 7 on various client’s computers. It prevents you from having to search for each edition of windows 7 and also helps to save you money.
Get two copies of windows 7 a 32bit version and a 64bit version. If you have the iso image it will help you out greatly. I used windows 7 ultimate 32 and 64 bit you can use whatever copies you have.
The ei.cfg Removal Utility is a simple tool that will disable the ei.cfg from any Windows 7 ISO disc image, thereby converting the image into a “universal disc” that will prompt the user to select their preferred edition during setup. The ei.cfg Removal Utility works directly to patch the ISO image, by toggling the deletion bit in the UDF file table to instruct the operating system to ignore and remove ei.cfg, or treat it as if it does not exist. Best of all, the ei.cfg Removal Utility can reverse the patching to restore the ISO disc image to its original state when the tool is been used to apply on a disc image that previously been patched by the utility.
The ei.cfg Removal Utility is a standalone portable app, and requires no installation. In fact, the program does not have much of a user interface at all. Simply selecting the target Windows 7 ISO, and the disc image (ISO) will be patched right away. So make sure abackup copy of your ISO is created beforehand.
Download the ei.cfg Removal Utility here:eicfg_removal_utility.zip
- WAIK (Windows Automation Installation Kit) Download WAIK
- Windows Windows 7 x86 and Windows Windows 7 x64 DVDs. (the copies of windows 7 that you removed ei.cfg from)
- An application that can extract the files from an ISO (if using a downloaded ISO). I use WinRAR, but many apps can do this extraction.
- An application that allows you to build a new iso or create a bootable DVD/USB. I use UltraISO for this.
- Single Layer DVD, compatible DVD Burner and, of course DVD burning software… or a 4GB USB flash drive.
We will merge the four Windows 7 x64 editions into the Windows 7 x86 DVD contents, because Windows 7 x64 DVD has 64-bit content that can’t run some of the Win32 installation components.
1. Install WAIK in your Windows (doesn’t matter you are running Windows 7 or Windows XP)
- Make two folders, in my examples I use Win7_64 and Win7_32. Now copy both Windows 7 x64 and x86 DVDs contents into their respective folders. Or extract your downloaded ISO’s into their respective folder.
- Run WAIK command prompt (Run as Administrator if UAC enabled):
Start > All Programs > Windows AIK > Windows AIK and PE Command Prompt
Each and every Windows 7 edition has an index no. in the install.wim (WIM file), you can check using the following command:
Where G:\Win7_32 represents the location of your 32 bit DVD files
- We will use the Imagex /export command to move our x64 WIM entries into the x86 wim file.
The syntax for this command is:
imagex /export src_file src_numbersrc_name dest_file dest_name
Now execute the following commands with appropriate INDEX number. to export a copy of the specified image to the Windows 7 32bit (x86) WIM file.
For Windows 7 Home Basic x64:
Imagex/export G:\Win7_64\Sources\install.wim 1 G:\Win7_32\Sources\install.wim "Windows 7 Home Basic (x64)"
For Windows 7 Home Premium x64:
Imagex/export G:\Win7_64\Sources\install.wim 2 G:\Win7_32\Sources\install.wim "Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)"
For Windows 7 Professional x64:
Imagex/export G:\Win7_64\Sources\install.wim 3 G:\Win7_32\Sources\install.wim "Windows 7 Professional (x64)"
For Windows 7 Ultimate x64:
Imagex /export G:\Win7_64\Sources\install.wim 4 G:\Win7_32\Sources\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)"
- After execution of above commands Win7_32’s WIM file will be the universal WIM file that contains all version of Windows 7. You can export only desired versions into the image. For example you could make a Windows 7 DVD, which includes Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and x64 version only.
When you are finished with the tutorial you can create a iso image of the Win7_32 folder or burn it to a dvd or create a bootable flashdrive
Be sure to do Part 1 before doing Part 2 otherwise you will get an error of missing files.
Reference: Seven Forums